Event Blog 3: Undergraduate Senior show at the EDA

Au Vo 

DESMA 9 

Dr. Vesna

8 June 2024

Event Blog 3

For my third and final event of the year, I went to an in-person experience as suggested by Professor Vesna. I went with my friends in the class to visit the Design Media Arts Senior Showcase. 

This is a picture of my friends and I examining the works of the graduating senior and reading the summaries of their work. I think that this part of my art experience was monumental as it made me realize that there is a story behind every piece of art in addition to the meaning. The artists are usually working on something that is personal to them and reflects their lived experiences. Recognizing this human side of art was very touching to me. It made me think about an article in Pencil Kings about how art and emotion will always be intertwined no matter what. 

It was also very cool to see pieces that stemmed from my Asian heritage like the piece below. It was a reminder that art and different forms of artistic expression exist all across the world and are not confined to one specific culture. Seeing Asian art pieces was also nice as it reinforced the growing Asian representation in art fields. 

Of course, this means that there were pieces from other cultures as well. I greatly appreciated this as I was not very knowledgeable and familiar with Mexican art and the Day of the Dead before. Seeing the piece below really piqued my interest in the holiday and led me down a rabbit hole. Art has a funny way of drawing curiosity out in its viewers as each piece is filled with intrigue and mystery.

I am glad that my last event of the quarter was an in-person one as it allowed me to take in the space more and allow myself to be touched by each piece.

Works Cited

“Collections: Chinese.” National Museum of Asian Art, 20 Apr. 2023,
asia.si.edu/explore-art-culture/collections/collections-areas/chinese/#:~:text=
s%20include%20remarkable%20ancient,Chinese%20art%20outside%20of%20China.

“Dia De Los Muertos: Symbols and Traditions.” The Grace Museum,
thegracemuseum.org/learn/2020-11-4-dia-de-los-muertos-symbols-and-traditions/.
Accessed 14 June 2024.

Pencil Kings. “Art and Emotion - Why the Two Will Always Be Linked.” Pencil Kings, 19 Jan.
2021, www.pencilkings.com/art-and-emotion/.

Richardson, Jim. “Why We Need Museums Now More than Ever - the Importance of Museums.”
MuseumNext, 11 Mar. 2024,
www.museumnext.com/article/why-we-need-museums-now-more-than-ever/. 

Comments